Semantics of `exit' - exit thread or application?

Mikael Djurfeldt writes:

 > But I can imagine that it sometimes would be nice to be able to exit
 > the application, no regard what threads are running.  In this respect,
 > maybe `(exit RESULT)' should mean "kill all threads and exit the
 > application with result RESULT", and "exit current thread" should be
 > called `thread-exit' instead...
 >
 > Opinions?  (Everbody can join.)

the two methods approach is preferable because termination semantics are
different for app and thread.  if you're using threads you will want
this kind of granularity.  also, having this flexibility doesn't prevent
the thread from asking the master thread to kill the app using `exit'.

thi