Re: performance

hjstein@bfr.co.il (Harvey J. Stein) writes:

> 5. For that matter *why* is the debuggging interpreter 3-4x slower than the
>    nondebugging one?!?!?  TCL & STk give tracebacks on error and I've
>    verified that STk is competitive with scm in speed, let alone with
>    guile with debugging *off*!

Sigh...

Andres' figures indicated that scm5d0 was 800% faster than Guile.
When checking it myself I found that scm5d0 was 144% faster than the
debugging evaluator and 43% faster than the normal with his test
profram.  (I used the development snapshot, but the difference between
that and the released 1.3 should be withing the 30% I talked about
previously.)  I also could see that for something more similar to a
real program (Aubrey's pi.scm) scm5d0 was only 13% faster.

Now you claim that STk is competitive with the normal Guile evaluator.

I checked:

STk 3.99.3 took 362 s to do (pi 100 5) 60 times.  Guile's normal
evaluator took 61 s.  This tells me that Guile is 490% faster than
STk.  For the debugging evaluator it took 151 s => 140% faster than
STk.

It is obviously so that people write whatever they like without
checking when it concerns speed of execution, so the message is:

Don't listen to what people say about speed!  Check for yourself.

My experience hitherto is that I've never encountered *any* Scheme
interpreter which has been faster than Guile's normal evaluator except
for SCM.  So it is still my belief that Guile is the second fastest
interpreter in the world.  I'm amazed that people are complaining
about performance problems.

/mdj