Re: Guile documentation (was Re: [RFD] Guile projects page)

Mark Galassi <rosalia@cygnus.com> writes:

> Hi Greg,
>
> I'm catching up on some email and saw this comment:
>
>     Greg> These should probably be in texinfo... I know someone is
>     Greg> going to say docbook, but there are (at least) two reasons
>     Greg> why not:
>
>     Greg> 1. sgmltools is a bitch to get working correctly (from
>     Greg> personal experience).
>
> Just wanted to say that most people who want an easy DocBook route use
> my RPMs at ftp://ftp.cygnus.com/pub/home/rosalia/docware/

Actually, I did have those installed a while back (on a different
computer), but lost the link, so I figured I'd give sgmltools a shot.

> People who install SGMLtools usually need conversion with the old
> linuxdoc stuff.

Of course, it didn't actually work with linuxdoc things at all, or
docbook for most backends (I think it was able to generate a fairly
grotesque html page; no tex, tho). Even with a system that actually
works, though, I still think docbook might be a bit hefty for human
generated documents... there is another dtd (which could generate
docbook, and so generates whatever you can convert docbook too) that's
less intrusive (kind of like linuxdoc, only more flexible... I can't
remember exactly what it is, and don't want to dig through 27 billion
bookmarks right about now ;), so something along those lines might be
a better choice for the documentation (or texinfo itself, the reasoning
being more `guile is a fsf project, and fsf uses texi' than anything
else (tho the fact that I know the TeXan's fairly well sort of biases
me here)).

My impression has been that docbook is great when you need absolute
control and flexibility, but the cost is a lot of extra effort put
into markup; you don't often need the flexibilty, and can usually go
with a package that simplifies things (in much the same way as LaTeX
is usually preferable to TeX).

--
Greg: ya, I know it's pronounced tech, but I thought TeXan's was cute :)