assoc-ref and family

Why is it that assoc takes KEY ALIST, whereas assoc-ref (and all the
other guile alist procs) takes the arguments in the reverse order: ALIST
KEY?  Is this historical?  Since RnRS demands KEY ALIST, it seems it'd
be nicer if assoc-ref used the same ordering.  Or at least the
documentation (even in its minimalist form) should stress the order of
these args as being unusual.  I don't think this is the first time I've
been confused by them.

Greg