Release schedule

Ian Bicking writes:

 > This has been brought up before, but I thought I'd bring it up again.
 >
 > I think it would do Guile well to release more often.  Anonymous
 > CVS access has a lot of problems, and at least for me it is quite
 > difficult to access and not really worth it for what I'm doing -- I'm
 > sure there are others similiarly inclined.  I don't need the cutting
 > edge developement -- I'd just like to work with a reasonably up-to-
 > date version and to know that bugs I find probably have not yet
 > been fixed.
 >
 > I know it's a pain in the ass to package things up for release.  But
 > Guile 1.4 will probably be a lot better release if there's something
 > leading up to it, and a number of non-core developers (and -- to
 > think! -- users) will benefit from having something more robust to
 > work with in the mean time.

towards more frequent release, i suggest capturing release criteria in
some automatable process.  probably the best thing to do is to flesh out
the regression suite, which can then serve as the criteria for release.

towards less frequent release, i suggest the same thing (enhancing
regression suite), but tagging CVS w/ "stable" or something similar.

in either case, having an objective measure of code quality helps to
minimize back-and-forth on stuff like release schedules, etc.

(ack!  have been playing manager too long.... bad programmer!)

thi