Re: setf.scm

>>>>> "Mikael" == Mikael Djurfeldt <mdj@nada.kth.se> writes:

Mikael> Now I'm thinking of letting #:accessor <name> create the accessors
Mikael> <name> and set-<name>! instead.

I am not happy with set-<name>!. One has to be carefull about
polluting peoples namespace. So either accessors should be kept as
generic functions, extending the getter name to also handle setting,
or an "invisible" symbol such as #{the setter of <name>} should be
used, as in STk.

What I like about the setf! approach is that it is extremely usefull
against arbitrary namespace pollution. For instance, records could
really benefit from this as well.

As to schemish-ness I'll go with Russ any time of the day. Let's
concentrate on what is usefull (but still with a carefull eye on the
design of course) and let the committees deal with the purity.

Christian Lynbech          | Telebit Communications A/S
Fax:   +45 8628 8186       | Fabrik 11, DK-8260 Viby J
Phone: +45 8628 8177 + 28  | email: chl@tbit.dk --- URL: http://www.telebit.dk
                                        - petonic@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)