Re: What's after guile-1.4? (was: Re: Questions... I am new to scheme)

mdj@nada.kth.se writes:
> mike@olan.com (Michael N. Livshin) writes:
>
> > Hmmm.  The improvement to slib.scm is well and good, but is it a good
> > idea for a Guile component to depend on SLIB?  If the dependency is
> > something basic like sort, then it should be in ice-9, IMHO.
>
> Hmm...  Now when you say it, isn't sort^2 of a fundamental thing?
>
> I'd like to have a primitive sort in Guile.
>
> Jim:
>
> Suggestion: mdj adds primitive sort to libguile now.  When the big
> libguile factorization takes place, it'll be put in its own module.
>
> OK?

My own opinion is that we shouldn't add things to libguile unless
strictly necessary, since that will just make the factorization more
painful (guile tends to grow dependencies on even the most random
weird things in libguile).

> (The file sort.c will provide the same interface as slib so that we
>  can add 'sort to *features*.)

Hmm, this reminds me of something that has been bugging me. A lot of
code both in libguile and boot-9.scm munges *features*. I am of the
opinion that the only manipulation of *features* should happen in
slib.scm, because slib is the only thing it is really useful
for. Again IMO, user code for Guile should not be encouraged to
examine *features*.

 - Maciej Stachowiak