Re: What's after guile-1.4? (was: Re: Questions... I am new to scheme)

Keith Wright <kwright@tiac.net> writes:

> > > (read-line) works here with glibc, gcc, rather old (july) guile.
> >
> > What version of glibc?
> >
> $ldd /usr/local/bin/guile
>         libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x400a5000)
> $ls -l /lib/libc.so.6
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           13 Jun  5  1998 /lib/libc.so.6 -> libc-2.0.6.so
>
> It came from the Redhat 5.0 CD
> Does that answer the question?

Yep. It could be a glibc bug; I've heard that rh 5.0 was quite buggy
in places (the early move to glibc caused a bit of instability; I was
still clinging to a very mongrel slackware/rh/debian beast at the
time, so I can't vouch for this first hand). The latest rh glibc is
2.0.7-19, and you can ftp it from

ftp://updates.redhat.com/5.0/i386/glibc-2.0.7-19.rpm

the devel and profile packages are there as well if you want
those. You might want to check the errata page at www.redhat.com to
see if the upgrade would break anything.

As for the cause, the only thing I can think of is the additional
sync's that were added for some braindead stdio implementations, but
that's probably because it's the only change to guile io handling I
can remember over the past few months, so I'm probably completely
wrong.

--
Greg