Re: Questions... I am new to scheme

that has been posted to comp.lang.scheme as well.

"Dusty Leary" <dleary@ttlc.net> writes:

> it should be easy to embed
> it should be easy to extend with user-defined types
> it should be documented *somewhere*...
> it should not include any unremovable "extras", or ideally, every "extra" is
> loaded by dll/so...
> it should run on win32 and linux
>
> guile fit the bill well except for the last two

There are not a lot of extras loaded into a bare guile.  You are right
there are some unix specific things in there that should be removed or
conditionalized, though.  The documentation for guile is out of date
right now, but my understanding is that the next release of guile will
have up to date docs.

> Guile seems ok, but although I finally get it to build on win32 via
> cygwin (damn autoconf), it's main exe "guile.exe" won't boot right,
> because it invokes boot-9.scm, which wants a function called
> getpw...  I want to embed it, there will be no need for passwords!

Sounds like some editing of boot-9.scm is in order.  Send patches to
bug-guile@prep.ai.mit.edu if you figure out how to get it working.

I am forwarding this message to guile@cygnus.com, the guile mailing
list.  Someone there may be able to help you get guile working
properly on w32.

-russ

--
My mailer limits .sigs files to 2 lines. But ingeniously I bypassed this by