setting a variable to a value from C?

A general guile question: from C how does one set the value of a
variable?  I'm also concerned about interactions with the module
system; how do I specify the the module where I want the variable to
be created/set?

I'm trying to do stuff like this:

    SCM pair;
    pair = scm_intern0("*current-ui*");
    SCM_SETCDR(pair, ui_box(ui));

But it doesn't seem to work (I can't find the variable in any module
afterwards), for some reason I'm having trouble figuring out.  I think
I've entered a maze of twisty little modules, that all look alike...

I've also tried to use scm_sysintern, which seems to put the variable
into the root module.  But this isn't what I'm trying to do; I'd like
to specify the module for the variable.

-russ

--
"It's logic Jim, but not as we know it."