Re: gh_enter reconsidered

Tel <telford@eng.uts.edu.au> writes:

> > Hmm, so how do they protect objects on the stack against GC? Do you
> > have to protect them explicitly? I know perl uses reference-counting
> > GC (or did last I heard), so I imagine they at least do that.
>
> The perl man pages that I have access to say that objects are reference
> counted that's not really an option for scheme lists.

I think this is true.  It's expected that objects should know how to
delete themselves properly, if the default mechanisms don't work.
i.e., if you design an object which might contain circular structures,
then you should do something special in the destructor.

Probably not appropriate for scheme, as you say!