Re: Regular expressions

> "PCRE implements a regular expression matching engine that's
> compatible with Perl 5.004's syntax. It can be used to add regular
> expression support to stand-alone applications without either
> embedding an entire Perl interpreter in the application, or settling
> for the more limited regular expressions included in libc."

The license is:
           Copyright (c) 1998 University of Cambridge

Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any purpose on any
computer system, and to redistribute it freely, subject to the following
restrictions:

1. This software is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
   MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

2. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented, either by
   explicit claim or by omission.

3. Altered versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not be
   misrepresented as being the original software.

I've used PCRE and been happy with it, but haven't done any formal
benchmarking on it.

ftp://ftp.cus.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programs/pcre/