Re: Planned regexp change - comments & legal issues.

Maciej Stachowiak <mstachow@mit.edu> writes:

> I recall hearing that Spencer Regexp was public domain. If this is
> literally true, then there cannot possibly be a problem, even an
> assignment one, since the FSF can copyright it by having someone
> change on line.
>
>  - Maciej Stachowiak

This is a nearly-public-domain reimplementation of the V8 regexp(3) package.
It gives C programs the ability to use egrep-style regular expressions, and
does it in a much cleaner fashion than the analogous routines in SysV.

	Copyright (c) 1986 by University of Toronto.
	Written by Henry Spencer.  Not derived from licensed software.

	Permission is granted to anyone to use this software for any
	purpose on any computer system, and to redistribute it freely,
	subject to the following restrictions:

	1. The author is not responsible for the consequences of use of
		this software, no matter how awful, even if they arise
		from defects in it.

	2. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented, either
		by explicit claim or by omission.

	3. Altered versions must be plainly marked as such, and must not
		be misrepresented as being the original software.