Re: Faster reader (Re: Startup time in guile-1.3 (II))

>If you're going to do that, you should do so in a way that benefits
>all of Guile.  Basically, you're talking about re-implementing stdio's
>buffering.  I think that's a great idea --- in fact, it's on the list
>of projects looking for volunteers that I just posted.

I wonder if it would be a good idea. If you think it is, maybe the code
below might be of use to you.

I wrote it a long while ago, because I got sick of the pain of stdio. The
design is very simple.
The interface is a shadow of the regular UNIX read() write() etc. Instead
of passing around
file descriptors, you pass around buffered file descriptors (BFDs). Because
of the way it works
you can easily implement other sources and sinks of data such as memory
that looks like a file
and so on.

The code is (IMHO) very clean, and it shouldn'tsuffer from the read/write
problem
of stdio (it is catered for). But whether it is faster, I can't say. If it
looks useful, let me know.

(See attached file: bopen.h)(See attached file: bopen.c)(See attached file:
rbopen.h)(See attached file: rbopen.c)

bopen.h

bopen.c

rbopen.h