Re: could we rename ice9

    Maciej> mdj@nada.kth.se writes:
    >>
    >> You mean we should do this change when we get a new module system?
    >>

    Maciej> I was more thinking in terms of doing it right after 1.3 rather than
    Maciej> right before, to minimize the bug fallout before the release.

Valid point...

    >> Otherwise, I usually find "as soon as possible" to be a good time for
    >> incompatible changes.  To do it before the 1.3 release could be a good
    >> idea, especially since we may have to wait some time for the new
    >> module system.
    >>
    >> Personally, I'd prefer the ice-9 directory in the 1.3 release to have
    >> a different name, e.g., `core'.
    >>
    >> Is anyone opposed to doing this now?
    >>

    Maciej> My only objection is that it would require a lot of apps to do a fair
    Maciej> bit of work to work with Guile 1.3 all at the last minute; my general
    Maciej> opinion is that changes of this sort should happen earlier in the
    Maciej> release cycle.

Uhhm... when you think about it, now *is* the best time for doing
it... because of the very reasons you state for *not* doing it.  Every
app that changes adapts to 1.3 (from 1.2, I presume) has to do quite a
bit of work (right?) anyway...

    >> Does anyone have a better suggestion than `core'?

    Maciej> I'd rather have the prefix for otherwise uncategorized modules that
    Maciej> ship with Guile be `guile', but `core' is an OK name too.

NO!  As others already have said, core is a very bad name for any
module/file/directory.  I had a core dir in one of my
projects... which an automake-generated Makefile nuked (pretty
much... I don't remember the details, and I don't want to).

Bye, J

- --
Jürgen A. Erhard  eMail: jae@laden.ilk.de  phone: (GERMANY) 0721 27326
   MARS: http://members.tripod.com/~Juergen_Erhard/mars_index.html
		   "Ever wonder why the SAME PEOPLE
     make up ALL the conspiracy theories?" -- Michael K. Johnson