Re: could we rename ice9

jae@laden.ilk.de writes:

> Maciej> My only objection is that it would require a lot of apps to do
>   a fair
> Maciej> bit of work to work with Guile 1.3 all at the last minute; my
>   general
> Maciej> opinion is that changes of this sort should happen earlier in
>    the
> Maciej> release cycle.
>
> Uhhm... when you think about it, now *is* the best time for doing
> it... because of the very reasons you state for *not* doing it.  Every
> app that changes adapts to 1.3 (from 1.2, I presume) has to do quite a
> bit of work (right?) anyway...

This is kind of a moot point now, but:

No, a lot of apps have been using autoconf to work with either 1.2 or
the snapshots, so they are already 1.3-ready. Since tracking snapshots
is not as demanded by users as tracking formal releases, if the name
gets changed now, post-1.3, apps can convert more or less at their
leisure instead of being forced to do so all of a sudden.

 - Maciej