Dybvig's syntax-case --- (ice-9 syncase) --- removed

Jim Blandy writes:

 > I'm very sorry about this, but I can't include this code in the Guile
 > release.  I realize that people are using this module, and I apologize
 > to them for breaking their code.  The mistake was mine, not Mikael's;
 > I should not have allowed this to be integrated into the Guile core
 > back in August 1997.
 >
 > I encourage someone to package this up as a separate distribution.
 > I'll happily include it on ftp.red-bean.com.
 >

 > >From NEWS:
 >
 > ** Syntax-case, present in the snapshots, is absent from this release.
 >
 > syntax-case is a powerful hygenic macro-expansion facility designed
 > and implemented by R. Kent Dybvig, Oscar Waddell, Bob Hieb, Carl
 > Bruggeman at Indiana University.  Some Guile snapshots included this
 > macro expander as a Guile module, but we cannot distribute it, because
 > the authors have not assigned the code's copyright to the Free
 > Software Foundation.

Is it still free software anyways , just not owned by the FSF, or are there
serious restrictions to modification and redistribution of it?

 > However, it would be fine to distribute this as a separate package,
 > which users can download and install separately.  I hope someone
 > produces such a package.

What would one have to do? Just replace (ice-9 syncase) with a new path,
and change the false copyright notice into an appropriate one?

    Klaus Schilling