bytecode speed (was Re: Tcl misconceptions)

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> I've heard that SCM, the interpreter Guile is derived from, beats all
> bytecode-based implementations on speed. I find this a bit surprising

not quite generally true:

in my experiments, at least scheme-48 with benchmark mode on, rscheme in
bytecode mode (can also compile to C) and clisp run faster than SCM with
(fib xx) tests as one would expect. Mzscheme had approximately the same
speed in bytecode mode (can also compile to C). Scheme-48 is very slow
in io and image loading.

--
Fritz Heinrichmeyer mailto:fritz.heinrichmeyer@fernuni-hagen.de
FernUniversitaet Hagen, LG Elektronische Schaltungen, 58084 Hagen