Re: call for fanatics

Jim Blandy <jimb@red-bean.com> writes:

> Basically, I need someone to appoint themselves Guile's Text Czar.  Or
> the Guile Textpatriot.  Or whatever.  Maybe a group.  Someone who can
> take some real application (the extractor is a perfect test bed),
> figure out what fundamental changes we need to bring it up to speed on
> Guile, and make those changes.  Besides the obvious rules (the rest of
> Guile has to continue to work, you gotta support the R5RS and SCSH I/O
> primitives, it's gotta be somewhat generally helpful, not just hacks
> for that one app), it's open season.

I'm no text czar, but here is a random thought on the subject.

I think it would be nice for guile to have buffers, and regexp
primitives that worked on those as well as on strings.  Strings are
pretty limiting compared to buffers.

Also, the perl approach of wrapping the c-library functions seems
easy to implement, and likely to give good speed.

-russ

--
Time flies like the wind.  Fruit flies like a banana.