Re: usage note message

gjb@cs.washington.edu writes:
> Maciej Stachowiak <mstachow@mit.edu> writes:
>
> > gjb@cs.washington.edu writes:
> > >
> > > In fvwm-module.scm, I've had the default value of debug-fvwm-module as
> > > #t for a while now.  You can change your copy to #f, or maybe it's time
> > > to make the default be false as fvwm2 module support seems to be a more
> > > stable now.
> > >

> > Oh, I see you did that already. IMO, the default should be #f, but the
> > variable should be exported (using define-public) so the user can
> > change the debug level from his or her scwmrc. Apologies for another
> > irrelevant message if this is done already.
>
> I thought the hack to do this was the use of the define before the
> define-module:
>
> ;; FIXGJB: hack to get debug-fvwm-module in root environment
> (define debug-fvwm-module #t)
>
> (define-module (app scwm fvwm-module)

I don't think it matters whether it is in the root module or not; if
you want to change it, you have doubtless already imported (app scwm
fvwm-module). I suggest putting the statement

(define-public debug-fvwm-module #f)

_after_ the module declaration; the user will still be able to set!
the debug level from his or her .scwmrc in that case.

The reason we needed to do this the other, hackish, way for some
different code is, I am afraid, somewhat obscure; it has to do with
the variables being reference from C code. I think I know how to fix
it though, and will probably do that soon, because it is really a
gross hack.

 - Maciej