Re: Guile Startup Time Suggestion

karlheg@inetarena.com (Karl M. Hegbloom) writes:

 >     Harvey> In general I'd expect all sorts of cross pointers between
 >     Harvey> the mmapped segments.  Many of the mmapped segments come
 >     Harvey> from the shared libraries.  They can get mapped
 >     Harvey> differently for each invocation of the program.
 >
 >  So every variable and function lookup would have to be done using a
 >  layer of indirection via a symbol table.  Hmmm.  ... and when a .so
 >  got pulled in, it would need to run an init function that interns all
 >  of its symbols in that table.

This is a response to an extremely old thread...

In any case, I don't think you can do this.  How are you going to, for
example, cause calls to libc from libX11 to be indirected?

 >  I wonder how Clisp and the other lisps and schemes that have `fasl'
 >  files do it?

It's not relevant for fasl files - they're compilations of lisp code,
not memory dumps.

--
Harvey J. Stein
BFM Financial Research