inline (Re: guile: going the way of DEATH)

> > - everyone is used to macros
>
> Come on... everyone *dislikes* macros!

yup

> > Oh, and you have to make sure all this works properly when you're not
> > using GCC.  Sounds like a case for some serious CPP grunging.
>
> That's the hardest part -- providing for non GCC compilers while still
> getting the benefits of the inline extension and not creating a
> maintenance nightmare where a macro def'n and its corresponding inline
> function are manually kept in sync.

I'm tempted to say that non GCC compilers don't get a macro, they
get a regular function and whatever speed sacrifice goes with that.
This is easier to maintain but may upset some people.

I'd be saying that unless you are using a compiler that has a better
optimiser than the gcc optimiser then you can't be too interested in
speed. Which other compilers have better optimisers than gcc?
Do these compilers have some equivalent way of inlining functions?

	- Tel