Re: Guile Startup Time Suggestion

Hi!

 WH> Have Guile always running, as a user process or as a system
 WH> daemon.

scwm implements this, but its problem is that it's a window manager,
and I don't want to be forced to use X windows just to have a
persistent Guile session.

So, I figured out that the Right Thing was to have your login shell be
a Guile application that could spawn scripted children without having
to reinitialize an interpreter.

So, Gush implements this.  Perhaps you should check it out...

http://www.gnu.org/software/gush/gush.html

I'm making a 0.0b release very soon that has full app support so you
can start writing fast-loading Guile scripts.  This will all be
documented in the Texinfo manual, too.

If you download 0.0a, take a look at doc/SPEED to see my benchmarks of
running Gush apps versus running subprograms.

 WH> I am not exactly a Unix system person but if running as a daemon
 WH> could the ownership of the Guile fork be transferred to the
 WH> interface process?

This is waay too hard to implement, and the security issues are
problematic.  Inheritance via a fork is the way to go.

Good idea, though. :)

--
 Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@fig.org> //\ I'm a FIG (http://www.fig.org/)
    Lovers of freedom, unite!     \// I use GNU (http://www.gnu.org/)

Copyright (C) 1998 FIG.org; the creator offers you this gift and wants it
to remain free.  See http://www.fig.org/freedom.html for details.
  This work may be copied, modified and distributed under the GNU General
  Public License (GPL).  See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html.