Re: G-wrap to help with translations

>  Is the image-smob example in the data-rep doc an example for the direct
> strategy, as opposed to wrapping?

Yeah, that's what I meant by "direct".

One style of using Guile which I want to support (because I'm guessing
it could be very powerful, by analogy with Emacs and the GIMP) is the
style where you take some application area, like GIS or audio signal
processing or mathematics, design your data structures and implement
your algorithms in C, and then poke them through to the Scheme level
as new datatypes, and procedures that operate on them.

That's the kind of programming I'd like to make easy.

>  Or does that mean that one should even avoid smobs and do with the built-in
> Scheme datatypes that guile provides?

No.  Sometimes one really needs to do it in C.  But you want to use
Guile as the glue that pulls your primitives together.