Re: speed and consing (Re: DHARMI project)

> Hang on, wasn't the whole idea of looking at alternative garbage
> collectors to make the thing run faster? What is the point og BW-GC if
> it is actually slower than the (comparatively simple) mark and sweep
> system that guile already uses?

Yes and no.  Efficiency is certainly one of the issues.  I didn't
actually realize the the BW collector was slower.  But lag is another
--- for many of guile's proposed applications, a several-second
(minute) pause is undesirable.  Currently we have to stop everything
when we collect garbage.  The BW collector does things mostly in
parallel.

Andrew