threading changes committed

I've just committed some changes to the way threads are configured,
and I've changed the QuickThreads library to be built with libtool.
These should show up in the Monday morning snapshot.

Please give these a try, and tell me about any problems you encounter,
so I can have this working on lots of platforms before the 1.3
release.

If you do a full rebuild (i.e. aclocal; automake; autoconf), you'll
need to copy the new qthreads.m4 file into your
${prefix}/share/aclocal directory first, so aclocal can see it.  I'll
soon be arranging for this to be unnecessary, but until then, be
warned.