Re: Probem installing Guile

On Mon, Jul 13, 1998 at 08:31:00PM +0000, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:
> On 13 Jul 1998, Mikael Djurfeldt wrote:
> > If you have an alternative compiler which works, let's say `cc', you
> > can put CC=cc in front of the configure command:
> >   CC=cc configure ...
> My system is RedHat 4.2 and I recently upgrade to the glibc (for
> installing Gimp).
> On the same system of a friend without upgrade to the glibc, Guile just
> install nicely.

It sounds possible that your glibc upgrade broke your C compiler - I've
never used a glibc system, so I'm not fully aware of the issues, but I
believe this can be a problem.

Can you test your C compiler by compiling some simple program? eg)

--cut here--
#include<stdio.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv) {
	printf("Hello world\n");
	return(0);
}
--cut here--

Put this in a file called 'hello.c'. Try the command:
gcc -o hello hello.c

If this command gives an error message, your C compiler installation is
broken (or I've made a minor typing error, which I suspect someone on this
list will point out). The appropriate solution is to reinstall gcc, I
believe - I'm sure someone will correct me if necessary.

--
I bet the human brain is a kludge. -- Minsky