Re: '#/some/list' `read' different?

> From: thi <ttn@netcom.com>
>
> i do not understand the session transcript that follows.  why is `3'
> interpreted as a symbol?  is this something i should fix in
> boot-9.scm?
> ----------------------------------
> guile> #/+/3/5
> ERROR: While evaluating arguments to + in expression (+ 3 5):
> ERROR: Unbound variable: 3
> ABORT: (misc-error)

I believe this is deprecated syntax (I myself deprecate it, and
I think I recall seeing that same opinion in messages from other
people on this list).  Reason: non-portable, little gain.

As deprecated it only exists for backward compatiblilty.
If you are writting a program that breaks because of this,
just change #/+/3/5 ::= (+ 3 5), problem solved.

To fix the bug at the source, patch the place you learned
this syntax with a comment that says don't do it.
The only reason to do this is to make things look like
file paths.  So if you have a file named "3" is that a
symbol or a number?

--
     --Keith

This mail message sent by GNU emacs and Linux.
Food, Shelter, Source code.