How to obtain old (1.2) gh_repl behaviour?

Hello everybody.

I'm just experimenting with the newest guile snapshot. It appears that the
behaviour of gh_repl has changed drastically.

I am using an old but working command line interface of my own tool. I
wrapped some of the functions with SWIG and provided an additional command
to enter the guile interpreter, which just called gh_enter.

When I entered (exit) in guile, it flawlessly returned back to my own
command line interface, allowing it easily to switch between guile and
my old shell.

Now, (exit) causes guile to leave the program as a whole. The former
behaviour was quite more charmful to me. For my own read-eval-loop it
would require some effort to make it callable as a function from
guile rather than the other way around.

Is there a chance to make gh_repl behave as before? Something like
(soft-exit) or alike?

Best regards,
Dirk Herrmann