Selectable Garbage Collection?

First, I want to say thanks for the feedback I got for
my "Portability and more..." questions, and related to
these responses I have more question/observations!

First, after reviewing the archive of mailings concerning
using guile in a threaded environment I think I understand
the issues involved with the conservative gc scheme, which
leads to me to ask, is anyone working on alternative methods,
similar to elk (elk has selectable gc methods at compile time)?
This is of real concern to me because I want to use guile
within a cooperative threading environment in which I have
no access to the underlying details (such as the call stack
of each individual thread), and I can't diddle with the source
code.

Second, what I would *really* like to do is to give each thread
its own instance of a guile interpreter, but unfortunately
it does not seem that guile supports the concept of an
interpreter context (similar to what TCL has). Now, in
the current release of the threading library I am using
(Sybase Open Server), there are hookpoints that I can use
to, say, swap out name spaces within the interpreter
between context switches, but in the upcoming releases,
native threading (real honost-to-god lwp's) are supported
so this won't work any more since there will be muliple
simultaneous name spaces).  Any suggestions, or do I just
need to live with a shared name space--assuming that I
can solve the first problem, above.

Thanks again!
-scott

--