Re: port-line and port-column

Per Bothner <bothner@cygnus.com> writes:

> One can argue either way, but I think if the first line is
> line one, then the first column for consistency should be column one.
> The convention as currently implemented (but not documented!)
> in Guile is broken.

I implemented the port-column and port-line functions.

Personally, I prefer the 0-origin convention before the 1-origin
convention in an API (because it seems more "natural" from a
programming perspective: it avoids unnecessary operations).  I also
prefer the 1-origin convention before the current mixed convention.

The reason why I still implemented the mixed convention is that I feel
a resistance against inventing "new" conventions.  I had no strong
reason to select a different convention than the one used in Emacs
Lisp.  BTW, is anyone familiar with the reasons behind the mixed
convention in ELisp?

If people think so, we could switch to the 0-origin convention.

I'll post a query about this to the list.

/mdj