Re: Opinions: line/column numbering conventions in the Guile API

> As in Emacs, lines are numbered starting at 1 while column numbers
> start at 0.

An experiemnt with column-number-mode shows an incompatibility
between XEmacs and FSF Emacs.  (I know Stallman dislikes the terms
"FSF Emacs" or "GNU Emacs", but he can't have it both ways:  If
he says XEmacs is also an Emacs, and is also GNU Emacs, then he
can't use Emacs only for the FSF version.)

In XEmacs (version 20.2), column-number-mode shows the left-most
column as C1.  In FSF Emacs (version 20.2), it shows it as C0.
The latter is I think a bug, given that error messages etc
use 1-origin column numbers.  (Again, the column numbers shown
to the user do not have to be the same as the internal Scheme API.)

	--Per Bothner
Cygnus Solutions     bothner@cygnus.com     http://www.cygnus.com/~bothner