Re: status on threads support

Mikael recently said there were no problems in guile's threads support,
except for signals. With respect, there is one BIG problem, documentation!!
The existing documentation is outdated, and even enthusiastic guile
supporters draw the line at attempting to deduce how to use threads from
source code. You mention for example condition signalling, which is
not documented at all, and I notice there are things called fluids
and lots of other stuff that I am sure is wonderful. Is it too much to ask
somebody to take twenty minutes to write something up, and post it to the
list, or put it in guile-doc or on the website  or .....?

On a related topic, I would like to understand when control passes
from one thread to another. Clearly yield, and join-thread do this;
and I think display does as well. From this I assume that buffered
i/o initiates a thread switch? However I have a guile programme  that
is trying to read from a socket with recv!, and it looks like this blocks
everything, not just the thread doing the read. Is this intended?

My apologies for hectoring busy people who are volunteers, but I am
trying to use this stuff in the dark.

Julian Satchell
<satchell@dra.hmg.gb>