bitvector efficiency

Still working on convincing my group members, I also need to know
about bitfiddling in guile.

The project I am to work on, will communicate over the network
according to standards, and thus will need to fiddle bits in order to
convert the requests from their standard representations to internal
(scheme) structures.

I have noticed that guile supports bitvectors. Can I assume that they
are reasonably effecient to use? (Extending in C is always an
opportunity, but having good bitvectors would also be nice).

Christian Lynbech          | Telebit Communications A/S
Fax:   +45 8628 8186       | Fabrik 11, DK-8260 Viby J
Phone: +45 8628 8177 + 28  | email: chl@tbit.dk --- URL: http://www.telebit.dk
                                        - petonic@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)