Dynamic loading of modules from shared object libraries

Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether the method for dynamically loading modules
has changed or whether the current code is just broken?  I have failed
to be able to use the newer Guile snapshots for the past month or so
because I can no longer load modules from shared object libraries.

When I try to use a library, say $HOME/lib/g-lib/primitives/libgmatrix.so
(where $HOME/lib/g-lib is in the '%load-path' path list) using the
command
	(define-module (Catch)
	  :use-module (primitives gmatrix))

or just

	(use-modules (primitives gmatrix))

I get the error

ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link in expression (dynamic-link filename):
ERROR: 26838:guile: rld: Fatal Error: cannot successfully map soname '/IUS/usrf0/chrislee/lib/g-lib/primitives/' under any of the filenames /IUS/usrf0/chrislee/lib/g-lib/primitives/
ABORT: (misc-error)

I just tried this using today's guile snapshot (guile-core-980112) on
an SGI running Irix 6.3.  I also have this problem on my Linux box
with the guile snapshot from a few days ago.  The same code works for
me on earlier snapshots for both machines.

 -Chris