Re: SLIB `format'

    Tim> I don't think that I can live without a decent (or indeed
    Tim> any) string-formatting library.  The Common Lisp `format', as
    Tim> implemented in SLIB, is important enough that I suspect many
    Tim> people install SLIB simply in order to get this procedure.  I
    Tim> think it would be useful to import into the core Guile
    Tim> distribution.  Does anyone object?

I object, your honour!  I don't use "format" much, and I install SLIB
for many other reasons.

I like the model of installing gcc and the glibc separately, and I
think the same applies to slib.

On top of that, I think that it is wise to let Aubrey and his team
maintain SLIB, without duplicating it in Guile.

What I would do is put a recommendation in the INSTALL or README file,
or the docs, telling people to grab SLIB and install that too.