Re: Considering Guile as part of a Master's Thesis

    Miroslav> For that matter, finishing the port of Hobbit (Guile->C
    Miroslav> compiler) or (even better) adding generational gc sound
    Miroslav> like good and sufficiently nontrivial ideas, IMO. :)

Having ported Hobbit to Guile, here some comments about this:

 1) Hobbit IS currently working on Guile, with a speed increase
    around a factor of four (heavily depending on the application of course).
 2) But Hobbit needs a cleaning (modules, removing
    some SCM specific things,...) to be better targeted to Guile
 3) Hobbit is GPLed
 4) There are plenty of possible improvements. In the case where the
    type of a variable can be deduced to be necessary
    a given primitive one (integer or real), the simple fact to
    elminate all the unnecessary SCM <--> primitive type conversion would
    give performance close to hand-crafted C code.
 5) I have no academic background in computer science, so I will have
    difficulties to treat neatly 4).
 6) I have also little time to tackle 2) and so 4) will remain undone
    for a long time.

So it would be nice if someone else could give a contribution to
Hobbit for Guile.

B. Urban