Re: dynamic Bindings; thread-state

On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Per Bothner wrote:

> > Unless I missed something, FLUID-LET can't make top-level bindings which
> > should exist for each and any thread, and about which the code which
> > creates some new thread doesn't need to know.
>
> Regular define seems to do what you want.
>
> Note that fluid-let works *with* define and set!; it does not create
> any separate namespace.

If I understand what you're describing, RScheme does essentially just
that.  The problems I've noticed are (1) it makes thread switches
expensive (unwinding the fluids in the departing thread and rewinding them
in the starting thread), and (2) it is impossible to use kernel (OS)
threads.

> If a thread does not do fluid-let, it gets the binding from its parent.

-- Donovan Kolbly                       RScheme Development Group
   (W) 512-459-8745 x 26		d.kolbly@rscheme.org
					http://www.rscheme.org/~donovan/