improved read-line

Thanks to Gary for nagging me to do the right thing.  His feedback
prompted me to find an implementation that appears to be both fully
compatible with the previous read-line and much faster (casual tests
here showed speed improvements between a factor of 2 and a factor of
6).

The revised version should show up in the 971213 snapshot.  If any
code starts failing, please let me know ASAP.

love, T.