Re: i18n; wide characters; Guile

Jim Blandy <jimb@red-bean.com> writes:

>     The authors of _An Introduction to Chinese, Japanese, and Korean
>     Computing_ claim that the designers of the Big Five code actually
>     copied many kanji from the JIS standard.  Many kanji exist in both
>     Chinese and Japanese, but there are some subtle glyph differences
>     between them.  The Big Five contains many non-Chinese versions of
>     kanji (and not the actual Chinese equivalent), and no attempt was
>     made to remedy this problem.
>
> It sounds to me as if a lot of Big Five will get absorbed through
> unification.

There is meanwhile a different standard, a coutnerpart of ISO 10646
for China.  This is much bigger than Big5 and growing.  I would have
to look this up in detail (maybe it's CNS 11643).

-- Uli
---------------.      drepper at gnu.org  ,-.   Rubensstrasse 5
Ulrich Drepper  \    ,-------------------'   \  76149 Karlsruhe/Germany