Unicode?

Here is my comment on the whole thing.

Unicode is the only international standard that has the momentum
behind it to become the new ASCII. It encodes most of the world's
major alphabets and non-alphabetic writing systems fairly well. It has
numerous imperfections, but then so did ASCII. The biggest overall
plus is, when Unicode gets universal adoption we'll finally have the
underlying alphabet encoding problem handled. This is NOT all one
needs to do internationalization by any means. But it is a nice big
thing.

I'm personally pushing the *BSD world to adopt Unicode over the next
few years, and I know that NT has done so. There seems to be a
reasonable expectation that it *will* replace ASCII someday. It is
therefore the most reasonable choice for Guile.

Perry