Re: mbstrings

Per Bothner writes:
 > Of course - once you do canonicalization, you might as well use
 > Unicode.
 >
 > In other words:  The Mule "characters" are problematical as
 > characters in the Scheme sense.

I don't think so.  We need unification/cannonicalization, that's true,
but please note that there are many cases to unify/cannonicalize
characters especially for Chinese characters.  Here is analogy.  In
the case of comparing text ignoring case, "A" can be unified with "a".
In the case of comaring glyph ignoring meaning, Alpha in greek can be
unified with "A".

We should support unification/cannonicalization, but the way of
unification should not be only one.  It's better to support multiple
ways to unify characters.  It depends on what users want.