Re: Library naming

> Just wondering, wouldn't it be a good idea to add version numbers to the
> library names, like tcl does?

Sorry to answer my own post, but I just did some more looking around, and
I now realize that tcl is an anomaly as far as this goes.  I'm just trying
to get a handle on the naming conventions since I'm packaging up guile
for Debian.  So I should name the package containing the library as
libguile2_1.2 -- but the library can remain /usr/lib/libguile.so.2.0.0.

But the guile interpreter that uses the library should have a version in
it's name, shouldn't it?  ie. so executables named guile1.2 and guile1.3
could be installed at the same time -- and the guile executable would
just be a symlink.  Right?  I guess I could do that easily when I create
a package for it.  Or is everything so upwardly compatible that I shouldn't
worry about that?

Cheers,

 - Jim

PGP signature