Re: The GTK2 line of development

On Sat, 24 May 2003, Stan Pinte wrote:

> On Sat, 24 May 2003 12:41:11 +0100
> Andy Wingo <wingo@pobox.com> wrote:
>
> >  - within savannah.nongnu.org
> >    * has the advantage that all guile-gtk stuff is in the same place
> >     (maybe it's an advantage, who knows)
>
> I would favor that option, as I just moved the (gnome guile) code from
> the Gnome CVS to the savannah Guile-gtk project. (All the (gnome guile)
> code is in a separate module, under
> http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/guile-gtk/gnome-guile-0.1/

Sounds reasonable. The developers on this codebase will probably be
mainly guile hackers rather than gnome hackers, so that seems about
right. Then we just have to figure out package names and module names.

The gtk-1.2 code uses the module name (gtk gtk), if I'm not mistaken.
See the previous email for my thoughts on namespaces -- there's no
collision here, in my eyes. The guile-gnome code that was in
gnome-guile-0.10 (I am getting confused now) uses the module (gnome
gnome). Hmm...

I guess ideally(tm) I would like the (gnome ...) namespace to be
reserved for the 2.x version. That does conflict with the current naming
of your project, does it not? Still, if you continue to use (gnome
guile) and submodules, there shouldn't be any problems.

The win-win situation would be to coerce you to join 2.x development,
hehehe ;-)

Do I have a correct summary of the situation?

regards,

wingo.