Re: texinfo documentation

Marko Rauhamaa <marko@pacujo.net> writes:

> Kevin Ryde <user42@zip.com.au>:
>
>> `app'
>>      Don't be tempted to define `app' to some sort of widget or the
>>      like.  In Guile 1.6.4 `app' is used for the implementation of the
>>      module system.
>
> What does that mean?

Exactly what it says.  Try defining app to something and then doing a
use-modules.

> It's ok to pass vectors as well.
>
> Arrays are passed and returned as guile vectors, but it's ok to pass
> lists as well.

Yep, I haven't put that yet.

> I don't know (yet) how much of the whole story needs to be exposed to
> the application developer, but the GTK functions dealing with signals
> come in two C variants: regular and full. The guile code always uses the
> full variant but strips the "-full" suffix from the procedure name.

I haven't looked closely enough to see if full variants work or can be
usefully used from scheme code.  The regular forms are presumably what
will be used most often.

> It may be worth noting that the guile version of a nonvoid C function
> with k output parameters returns a list with (k + 1) elements, but the
> guile version of a void C function with k output parameters returns a
> list with k elements.

I'll add another example.

> Also: GdkRectangle is a pair of pairs. However, whenever it is an input
> parameter, GdkRectangle is expanded into (x y w h). Thus the
> pair-of-pairs format is used only to return a GdkRectangle.

That's rather inconsistent, and will probably make life hard if one
wants to pass a returned value on to another function.

--
All messages to the list only.