Re: suggestions for Guile wrt GTK and Gnome support

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 08:49:31AM -0400, Neil W. Van Dyke wrote:

> I'm guessing that more often than not, people who were open to
> becoming Guile application hackers get the
> not-entirely-fair-but-understandable impression that Guile is not
> ready for prime-time.

This has been my experience.  I'd love to make more extensive use of
guile and its Gnome and Gtk bindings, but frequently run into problems
getting a working installation set up.

I just tried this today.  The problems I encountered were:

- I could find no guile-related package in
  ftp.gnome.org:/pub/GNOME/stable/sources.

- I tried to follow a previous suggestion and get the latest CVS
  modules.  I checked out a copy of guile-gtk and gnome-guile, but was
  unable to build either.  The autogen.sh script couldn't find
  gnome-autogen.sh and failed.

- From what I remember, the last time that I was able to build these
  packages, I was unable to run any of the programs in the gnome
  examples directory -- they would all fail with an error to the
  effect that the "gtk gtk" module could not be found.

I don't imagine that any of these problems would be difficult to
overcome, but there's no way of knowing how many of these types of
minor difficulties I'd run into before I had a working gnome-guile
system.  Faced with this uncertainty, I tend to just fire up glade and
use C instead.  It's less elegent, but I know I can get it to work.

--
John Kodis <kodis@acm.org>
Phone: 301-286-7376