Re: More build errors.

"Dale P. Smith" <dpsm@en.com> writes:

> processing ./examples
> [lot's o stuff deleted]
> updating cache ./config.cache
> checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) gcc -E
> checking for pkg-config... /usr/local/bin/pkg-config
> checking for pkg-config... yes
> checking for GNOME Platform... GNOME 1.x
> checking for libraries... gtk+ (gthread)
> configure: error: gnome-config: not found
> Package gthread was not found in the pkg-config search path.
> Perhaps you should add the directory containing `gthread.pc'
> Unknown package 'gthread'
>

> Looks like I need "gnome-config" also.

Hi,

gnome-config is part of gnome-libs, but you only get this "dependency" because
there's a bug in glib which is already fixed in CVS, but not in the last glib
release.

So at the moment, you need the latest stable glib from CVS - I'll try to make
a patch against glib 1.2.8 this weekend. Basically all you need are the .pc.in
files from glib, but you also need to patch Makefile.am / configure.in to
create the .pc files from them.

> > > Yeah, I'm one of those guys that like a thin fast system, no kde or
> > > gnome for me! ;^)
> >
> > Btw. gnome-common is just a set of macros and build scripts, it has no other
> > dependencies except pkg-config.
>
> Is gnome-config part of that, or are more bits of gnome needed to be
> installed?

Well, normally pkg-config uses a .pc file which is installed by a package. If
it cannot find such a .pc file, it falls back to using gnome-config (which
comes with gnome-libs).

Unfortunately I realized too late that glib only has such .pc files in the
latest stable CVS version, but not in 1.2.8 - so when the next stable glib
is released, this problem will be gone.

--
Martin Baulig
martin@gnome.org (private)