select+read on socket in gtk,guile-gtk

Does guile-gtk provide a way to hook (file descriptors from) guile ports
into the Gtk+ select loop?   Glib's GIOChannel's perhaps?
I know I could fall back on gtk-idle-add, but it seems less clean.

Next question then is, how do I do a non-blocking read on a guile port,
returning as many characters as are available right now?  Is there an
interface to the raw read(2) system call, like perl's sysread()?

What I'm ultimately trying to do is arrange for a procedure to get called
with complete lines read from a connected TCP socket, so that information
recieved from the server at the other end can be used to update a
items in a guile-gtk interface.

In C its easy:
	fd = socket()
	conect(fd  ... )
	/* use my select, or hook into fd_set of another select() caller */

	n = read(fd, rbuf, sizeof(rbuf))
	/* scan buffer, looking for newlines.  When a whole line is
	found, dispatch to line-parsing function.  Save partial
	lines for next time around */

I've already built a version of this in C hooked to guile for an app that
already has extensive C routines linked in, but I'd rather do a little
desk-widget companion in pure guile-gtk if possible.
	Guile already has all of the the socket operations, so I suspect
I'm just overlooking somthing.

thanks,
Steve
steve@telltronics.org