Re: Random sampling extension for GSL

On 05/11/2010 08:08 PM, Joseph Wakeling wrote:
> As discussed in earlier emails, I've created a project page at GitHub
> for the new random sampling extension:
> http://github.com/WebDrake/GrSL

Further to the above: the system now implements Vitter's "Algorithm D"
and has a new "choose" function that uses the sampling classes.

Running the latter using the former for the sampling functionality shows
a sizeable speedup over the gsl_ran_choose function.

This is early days and it still all needs much more testing.  What would
be really useful at this stage is if there could be confirmation as to
whether the basic design -- API etc. -- makes a good fit with GSL or if
there are recommended changes.

Still to come: Nair's "Algorithm E" plus various other less-superior but
historically relevant ones (e.g. Knuth's Algorithm S).

Best wishes,

    -- Joe