GSL ode-initval development

Hello all,

I've been thinking about adding some implicit one step solvers for GSL ode-initval. However, I think the current ode-initval framework is not too easy to use for implicit solvers.

Implicit solvers result in a group of algebraic non-linear equations, for which there exists several solution strategies. The choice of the efficient strategy depends on the problem. For example, some modified Newton iteration methods are suitable for stiff systems, while functional iteration works for non-stiff systems. I would like to give the user the freedom to choose the non-linear eq solver separately from the stepping method. Does anyone see a way to do this with current framework?

I am currently considering to add a new framework part for specifying the non-linear equation solver. However, this would break the current framework. I wonder if I should write a separate "ode-initval2" library because of this. Any comments?

--
Tuomo.Keskitalo@iki.fi
http://iki.fi/tuomo.keskitalo